Jul 1 2010
This informative session outlined a few key pieces of advice to bear in mind whilst networking to find your next executive job:
1) Networking is not just about bugging a friend, or directly asking contacts for a job. The key to successful networking is establishing and building relationships. Particularly on LinkedIn, too many announce they are looking for job opportunities without establishing any form of relationship. Ideally we would have time to help everyone, but that is not the case. Would you go out of your way to help someone who you do not feel personally affiliated with no sign of mutual benefit?
2) The number one way that people find their jobs is through friends or contacts. Between 50% and 80% of jobs are found through networking beyond the people you currently know (i.e. knowing someone that knows someone). Going beyond your first layer of contacts is an extremely important networking strategy.
3) Making personal contact with people is essential. Mass emailing hundreds of contacts is impersonal and unfocused. As a recipient, it’s also easier to ignore and/or avoid if you know the email has been sent to multiple people. If you approach someone in a thoughtful and personal way they are more likely to want to help you.
4) When reaching out to people, be as specific as possible about what you want to get from them. Asking for ideas, advice or suggestions is something people are usually very willing to do. People like to give advice and most people find it flattering. Saying something like ‘I’d really respect any ideas/suggestions that you might have about ‘Company X’ or ‘Y Industry’ can be a useful angle to take. Try and tap into what you know they know. Be specific!
5) The golden rule of networking is that you should ‘give to get’. If you are reaching out to someone, try to think of something of value you could offer them. Even if it’s something as simple as a relevant newspaper article. As with point 3, this will make your contact more receptive and willing to help you. Generally speaking, the more you give, the more you are likely to get in return.
If you’d like to hear more about how to ‘Unlock the Secrets of Networking Success’ then you can download the full 60 minute audio recording here:
BlueSteps is the exclusive service of the AESC that puts senior executives on the radar screen of over 6,000 executive search professionals in over 70 countries. Be visible, and be considered for up to 50,000 opportunities handled by AESC search firms every year. Find out more.
The Ultimate Executive Career Guide: Connecting with Executive Search
As a senior-level executive, you can use this guide to:
- Learn about executive search and how it differs from other forms of recruiting
- Discover the best ways to connect with executive search professionals
- Understand how the search process works
- Implement strategies that will help you become visible to the search community
- And more!