Aug 25 2011
The stakes are higher when undertaking a global job search - it is more important to know who you are, what you’re doing and where you’re going. Patti Wilson shared her expertise in our recent BlueSteps Executive Webinar Going Global: Executing a Cross Border Job Search. Take a look below for some highlights:
Begin at the Beginning. Making a move across an ocean is a much bigger undertaking than changing your commute to work and therefore requires much more consideration.
- Identify your career niche - what you want to do, what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing;
- Look at the market place, is the economy growing or shrinking, do your target companies operate in the location you want to work from?
- Don’t rely on job postings and search firms for your information. Use international and national business magazines among other tools to research and understand the local economy.
He who dies with the biggest network wins. Executives are told over and over how important building a network is – and I’m going to tell you again. Having a large and strong network provides long term career security, and your network is even more crucial when looking to move globally.
- Never start by asking for a job, unless you are approaching the inner circle of your network. Always try to find ways that you can help others and get on their radar.
- Build your network through your University/College alumni. Even enrolling on a short course at most prestigious institutions will grant you access to their alumni lists. Also try LinkedIn groups and online forums, ask for opinions, be interesting and informed!
- Always be prepared when you approach your network. When you call someone have a script or pitch worked out , know what you want to get out of the call before you get on the phone, if you’re not sure what you’re asking for, your contact won’t have a clue either.
Being at the top of Google is the goal. When undertaking a global job search your most used resource will probably be the internet, you will use it for research, networking, branding and possibly procrastinating, so get savy!
- Doing a lot of international dialing? Look into internet phone providers, they should be able to cut your costs.
- Video interviewing is increasing in popularity, and comes with its own hurdles. No more international interviews in your sweats, suit up, look bright eyed and bushy tailed even if it is 3am.
- Online branding is integral to your job search. It is how people who matter know who you are. When you ring that search consultant the first thing that they will do is Google you. There are many tools you can use to promote yourself , from Facebook pages to splash pages for IPads.
Our Expert - Patti Wilson
Patti Wilson and the Career Company provides expert career coaching with personal branding, Web 2.0 job search and Social Networks to give executive clients a competitive edge. Patti coaches Fortune 500 and startup executives on how to optimize their careers and successfully transition to new opportunities. She has a Masters in Career Development and consults to MBA schools and was an Employment Manager for SUN Microsystems and a recruiter for Apple.
All BlueSteps members can receive a complimentary career consultation with Patti. To schedule your appointment, please log into your BlueSteps account and visit the main homepage.
This article was written by Sarah Wright, Marketing Assistant at the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC).
BlueSteps is the exclusive service of the AESC that puts senior executives on the radar screen of over 6,000 executive search professionals in over 70 countries. Be visible, and be considered for up to 50,000 opportunities handled by AESC search firms every year. Find out more at www.BlueSteps.com.
The Ultimate Executive Career Guide: Connecting with Executive Search
As a senior-level executive, you can use this guide to:
- Learn about executive search and how it differs from other forms of recruiting
- Discover the best ways to connect with executive search professionals
- Understand how the search process works
- Implement strategies that will help you become visible to the search community
- And more!