Apr 26 2011
Executive search firms, BlueSteps.com and many other executive recruitment services, use database technology to store candidate information searchable by executive recruiters. To make sure you appear in more searches follow our top tips:
- If one industry does not cover your expertise, select up to 3-5 functions and industries that are relevant to you. For example if an executive has experience and a desire to work in Marketing, PR or Business Development, selecting all three ensures he / she will appear in searches for all.
- Select all the countries that you would realistically work in or relocate to.
- Update your profile at least once a year or whenever you make a change, even if changes are minimal. This will show executive recruiters that the information is up-to-date.
- Ensure your resume/CV is full of keywords for your industry, clearly portrays your skills and experience, and is up-to-date with career and contact information - as a BlueSteps member you can receive a free review with an executive resume/CV writer.
- Overall, make sure that every area of your profile is complete to maximise the number of searches you appear in.
Today I looked at who had been viewed the most in the BlueSteps database. It was an executive who had filled out all his past positions (essential for keywords / filters), added professional societies along with his executive education, had 5 target countries and had selected 5 industries that his function (CIO) spans across. In addition, his resume/CV was full of keywords and was professionally written.
This article was written by Christian Pielow from the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC).
BlueSteps is the exclusive service of the AESC that puts senior executives on the radar screen of over 6,000 executive search professionals in over 70 countries. Be visible, and be considered for up to 50,000 opportunities handled by AESC search firms every year. Find out more at www.BlueSteps.com.
The Ultimate Executive Career Guide: Connecting with Executive Search
As a senior-level executive, you can use this guide to:
- Learn about executive search and how it differs from other forms of recruiting
- Discover the best ways to connect with executive search professionals
- Understand how the search process works
- Implement strategies that will help you become visible to the search community
- And more!